Saturday, August 25, 2012

                          

Its been a while and i seem to have forgotten who I am along the way. Iv grown accustomed to my routine and complacent in my ways but something happened that changed that the other day, something that caught my eye. Something that i was pushing for, searching for finally made sense. The pots, the pans, the baine maries the speed racks, they all mean absolutely nothing without passion and love for what i do, for food.
So i did what id do in college i followed a recipe, not a cardboard handout that you see in the Master-chef kitchen on the telly but something that made sense. This book i spent an hour looking for and just ten minutes to make but when all was said and done what id figured out was that the recipe was looking for me.And never had i thought that an ingredient that bought me so much pain during my training could bring me so much joy.

The journal i sourced the recipe was of course a renowned one Saveur and it seemed so odd that something so rustic was just the push i needed to wake up and fall in love all over again.

The article spans 13 onion recipes so i decided to try one, an inexpensive ingredient and a rudimentary one but alas only exhaulted on few occasions like the french onion soup. So i decided to in my little own way make good with my old nemesis and prove to myself that i could still with fresh ingredients although simple produce something beautiful and profound in flavor.

So the recipe reads like so



Creamed onion Au gratin


Ingredients:

Onion : 500 gms
Thyme: 25 gms (fresh)
Butter: 50 gms
Flour: 30 gms
Cream: 300 ml
Danish blue cheese: 5 gms









                                                                                  Doing it proper:

1.Grease a baking tray and line the onions cut into wedges 
2.Mix in thyme and salt and freshly ground pepper with butter.
3. Cover with silver foil and set in an over at 180 degrees for  25 minutes
4. Check onions to see if they are tender and golden brown. Rest.
5.Melt butter in a pan combine with flour and whisk to form a roux, cook to a white roux stage and add in cream and simmer
6.Stir in onions and dish out in a staub finish with blue cheese.

                                                    I just like this so much



No comments:

Post a Comment